Should you see a urologist? A guide for men

Urologists, for the unversed, specialize in treating conditions related to the urinary and male reproductive system. While women may also need to see a urologist for symptoms such as incontinence, men are more likely to require their expertise. If you are in Brooklyn, consider visiting Lazare Urology for a consultation. In this guide for men, we are enlisting the signs that need your attention.

  • Erectile dysfunction: ED is a common concern, especially in men over the age of 40. It could be related to many factors and variables, including stress and obesity. Check with a urologist to determine the right line of treatment.
  • Blood in your urine: Also known as hematuria, blood in the urine could be related to infections, kidney cancer, and other concerns. A urologist can help diagnose the underlying cause, and with early intervention, you can avoid the complications.
  • Incontinence: Urinary incontinence is often related to age and could be a source of embarrassment. Make sure that you check with a doctor immediately after you notice the first signs. Incontinence could be temporary, but you still need medical care.
  • Enlarged prostate: This is also called benign prostatic hyperplasia, which affects more than 50% of men over the age of 60. It can cause symptoms like weak urine stream or incontinence. Thankfully, there are medications that can help manage the concerns.
  • Testicular pain: If you have been experiencing pain in your testicles, don’t delay seeking medical help. Testicular pain could be related to cancer or other conditions, and it is best to get a detailed diagnosis, especially if you have a mass in your testicles.
  • Kidney stones: You may need to see a urologist for kidney stones too. There could be symptoms like extreme pain in the stomach or discomfort while urinating, and it can take a few tests to find the possible cause. Kidney stones are treatable in most situations.
  • Elevated PSA: If your doctor recommended the prostate-specific antigen test and your levels are elevated, you should meet a urologist immediately. Elevated PSA could indicate prostate cancer and other conditions. Patients who already have prostate concerns often have to take the test at least once a year.

Final word

Seeing a urologist can sound scary, but there is no difference in how they treat you. They may recommend a few tests or may need to check your health history to determine the best way to treat the symptoms and causes.